Thursday, August 7, 2008


Yesterday was a fun day. I verrrrry rarely have a bad day with my horses anymore. I think for awhile I stopped enjoying them like I did when I first got Pepper. Everyday I find an "Oh Boy!" moment instead of an "Oh noooo..." moment. I truely have fun with my horse over every(well, pretty much) feat and obstacle. I love not getting frustrated or angry at my horse...what a concept eh? I think a lot of people don't enjoy horses as much as they think they do.

SO, something you should know...when I first got Pepper, sometime within that first year, I discovered quick release leadropes. They are designed so that when you have a "right brain" moment(or when your horse does =P ) you can grab the snap so that it automatically releases. Meant for easily tying your horse without having to tie up your horse.
So I had snapped Pepper to our new gadget, and went to grooming. I did something with his face(can't remember what), as he yanked his head back I instinctively grabbed the rope....the quick release rope! He held his head up and looked at me. Looked at the loose snap dangling from my hand. And I could see him think, "Freedom". I reached for the halter as he swung around and took off like a mailman from a dog. Eventually some cowboy man went down the road on his horse, and brought back my pony(I'm sure he watched our cartoon from a distance, and came over when he could stop gigling at the newbies).
Now you can fully appretiate yesterdays triumph. We were out in the field next to our house, no fences, and ages of yummy grass. I asked Pepper to circle, when I had a clumsy moment. I dropped the leadrope! Having a flashback to the quick release incident, and knowing this time there would be no cowboy to help me, I watched the leadrope drag in front of me. And then around me. I looked up............and Pepper was still circling. He casually made several laps around me, rope dragging in the weeds behind him, before coming back in to see if he could viset. Lots of scratches, and we headed back to the house for some jelly beans.

I'm looking forward to the new format Parelli is coming out with tomarrow. I was a bit worried at first about the change, but am thinking it's going to be pretty neat how everything fits together.

Followers