Friday, April 9, 2010

7 weeks!

I leave 7 weeks from today!
My trailer has been all dolled up, the vet has been out, and the farrier is getting the pony's feet ready to go!
I got a new vet & farrier all in the same week, and couldn't be more stoked about them both. The vet had very very nice manners toward my horses, and was very helpful in getting me set up to enter and leave Colorado.
My new farrier is also totally fabulous. I have a 24 year old arthritic mare, who I felt has been going down hill. My last farrier was very quiet, and I didn't feel understood what I was wanting for my horses. New guy was very very helpful in helping me understand how to help my horses feet, and really took his time to do it all right and help the horse feel good. I also told him that Tucker tends to pick up his back legs really high at random times as if he's stretching them, and he said he probably has some arthritis in his hips. But he moves soundly, and I think with a good farrier he'll be even better.
I've put about 5 rides on Rascal now, and he's just fabulous. I don't know how far someone should be after 5 rides, but for Rascal we are just swell. We've mostly done pushing passenger, and he's catching onto the "go" part. I'll worry about the steering later.
So that's pretty much what I'm up to. I'll just be enjoying the journey, and working on my relationship with Tuck before we start traveling!

No comments:

Followers