Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just got back from viseting with Pepper. His horsenality changes just about everyday. The day I rode he was inately Left Brain Introvert. Today he was Right Brain Introvert, trying to go extrovert! So I decided it was absolutely best not to ride.
We started with circling game. We did great at the walk, making several laps. He did well with the trot, but was having a hard time staying in a left brain way of thinking. His head came up, his legs got stiff, and he was constantly looking around him as if looking for a way out. I think he was a bit shocked that I didn't push him harder into a lope or gallop.
He had a hard time manuvering through the jumps I directed him twards. In order to go over a jump, ideally, he would be looking where he was going. But since he was traveling with his head up, hollowed back, and stiff legs, it took a few trys to make it over the jump somewhat gracefully.
He was also absolutely not willing to go anywhere near moms white sweater. So I took it and played with it around him. I put it over his neck, but he was so distracted, he didn't even realize it was there for about 5 seconds. When he just about went LBE.
So we played lots of friendly game until he relaxed. Even his lips were persed togather. He did relax though, especially on the way back to the pasture.
It was an intersting day, and I'm curious to see how he'll be next time.
Hard to imagine I had such a good ride on this horse just a few days before.

No comments:

Followers