Thursday, September 24, 2009

Concentration is an interesting thing. It's amazing what can be done when you really concentrate. Or what you can't do if you concentrate too hard. For those of you who don't concentrate too often...it's really difficult to smile when you're putting in so much thought. This is particularly hard for me. I don't smile very often when I ride.
This week I have been working on a million transitions. Trying to get our "go" to equal "whoa". Tuck has been doing great, and I decided I would step it up a little. I have dying to lope for awhile now, but have had a threshold that I couldn't get past. But my communication and leadership with Tucker has gotten lots better the last couple weeks, and thought I would give it a shot.
So I practiced trotting then coming back down to a walk. Okay, our downward transitions are top notch! What about asking for more? We got into a high trot Tuck felt weird. I thought he was limping and that I would have to end things early. But I experimented a little, and he really felt okay. So I asked for a faster trot, and then maybe a lope...I want to emphasize the maybe. Tuck really felt that inkling of hesitation and wouldn't make that transition. So...I asked for a trot one more time, let the reins loose, and away we went! We loped down one straight-away, and I called it good! Gave Tucker lots of scratches and an apple for being soooo in tune with me. I couldn't stop smiling! What a great ride. It's all coming together GREAT one step at a time.

Followers