Friday, January 29, 2010

Trailer Loading

WooHoo!! It is going fabulous. I spent yesterday and today working on it, and really taking the time it takes to show Tuck how to safely get in and back out of the trailer. He's been real worried about stepping backwards off the step, but finally put it together today.
Yesterday he offered to put in one hind leg with the very tippy toe resting. I was stoked with that, and called it quits. Today he did that twice, and then I'd retreat, and on the 3rd time he got in! So he got all the way in and out 3 more times(stopping inside for a snack of course) and then I put him away. I can't wait to see how he progresses with that now that he knows what to do!
I really enjoy working on trailer loading. It tells a lot about the horse and you can really see the puzzle solving come into action(not to mention in the human too!). I'm still learning a lot about it, and am constantly having to re-assess the situation trying to decide, 'left brain or right brain? approach or retreat?'. It's a learning experience, and such a relief when those 4 hooves calmly step onto the rattling rubber floor-mats.

No comments:

Followers