Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Well I haven't been feeling so great the last couple days. But I can't stand just sitting here and not progressing in some way!! So I've been out with my boys while I feel up for it.
I spent about an hour riding Tucker today. Follow the rail really gave me a plan! I LOVE our roundpen!! Tucker isn't so great with turning, and just kinda leans into the pressure. So we started our FTR, and I kept redirecting him until my hands and legs no longer had a meaning to him. Okay...where's my carrot stick!? Took me awhile to remember that I could use that, and be sooooo much softer on his face. So we did walk and trot on the rail until he was moving softly off my hands and feet again. The whole time I had running through my head, "give him the best deal possible", "be as light as possible and as firm as nessacary". It really got me to thinking, HOW could be as light as possible? and HOW could start by giving him the best deal? I loved it. And I loved how light he was by the time I quit.
I also found a coule things for us to work on. One being sideways twards. I really think he'll enjoy learning another task, and I know it'll be cake for him. The other is to lift me onto his back with his neck. He can get his head waaaaaay down, and I don't think would have a problem tossing me up! So we'll take the time we need, and see how it goes.
Also been working with Pep in the roundpen. Can you say FABULOUS at liberty!!!?? What a treat after all our hard work to see his exuberant desire to play. He even loped a little for me yesterday. I'm so proud of how far he's come, and how much he's trying to trust me as I ask for more advanced things.
Sooooo, I'm basically having a blast. Good Boys.

Followers