Friday, May 1, 2009

Wow. What a day today. I was actually not really wanting to get out with the horses today, but am SO glad I did.
First of all, I have a new round corral! It's gorgeous. We built it like the ones the Parelli's have, and I couldn't be more stoked about it. Its 3.5ft high and 50ft across. When I tell normal horse people about it, they kinda raise an eyebrow and after pausing for a moment ask, ".....won't the horse jump out?". I grin with my reply. I have always hated being in a roundpen with a horse. I feel trapped. And no doubt the horse does too. Now if the horse really wants out, he can go. I want to be careful not to push him to that point. Don't I want to encourage the horse to be with me? If he's willing to leap three and a half feet to get away from me, there's something wrong with the relationship. The one thing I put first with my horses.
Anyways, so I convinced myself to try it out with Pepper. He's always been tense in round pens...and I'm sure I didn't help. We started online with the 22' rope. Once I felt he was really with me, and took my ques, we went to liberty. WOO-HOO! He made great circles, had FABULOUS drive and DRAW! My goodness, I have never felt more harmony from this horse. I'm so proud of him, and can't wait to progress our journey!
I have way more hope for him than I ever have before.

Followers